Orphans from the Storm

Orphans from the Storm
This photo was taken in 1905 when my mother, pictured, was 2-years-old. She is with her brother Bruce.


Friday, June 04, 2010

The Paternal Side

My last name is Pearson. I know more about my Mother's side of the family, she was a story teller, but I know a bit about my Father's side of the family from just being there.


My Father, John A Pearson was born on May 5, 1904 on a Cherokee Indian Reservation in Talala, Oklahoma. He was listed on the Tribal Roll. He grew up there and after graduating from public school, he worked in the Oklahoma oil fields. His father was James Wallace Pearson who was born in 1874 in Illinois.



Tired of the Oil Fields, he and his older brother, George, went to New Orleans to catch a steamer and see the world. Once in New Orleans they found that it was not that easy to get on a ship. George talked to people that said the place to be was Houston, Texas. They moved there. From there I do not know a lot about what he did and I do not know the years he made these moved in his life.

I do know that Dad got married in 1930, when he was 26. I am pretty sure he graduated in 1923. In the 1930's census He and Uncle George were rooming together in Houston. Dad was soon to be married.

No comments:

Post a Comment