Orphans from the Storm

Orphans from the Storm
This photo was taken in 1905 when my mother, pictured, was 2-years-old. She is with her brother Bruce.


Sunday, September 27, 2015

Connections

In 1979 when I was living in Lutcher, Louisiana,running a Sonic, Alvin, Texas had the most rain fall in a 24 hour period ever recorded.   Alvin Flooded.  My mother Jennie Salome Wilson Pearson was managing a small Apartment Complex and woke up to find water in her apartment ( ground floor ) about 18" deep.


In 1979, at the time of the flood my mother was 75 and she managed that Complex until she was 85, so she was up there in years.


I recount this event to tell you that there was a chest of drawers which held all of my Mother's Family pictures, and some of them were destroyed from the rising waters of that flood. .  Most of the pictures on this site were survivors of the Flood.  The flood left water marks on all of mother's furniture and when people who are not from Alvin, or who arrived in Alvin after 1979, might ask mother what the water marks came from.  Mom would explain they were from the Flood. She would quickly remind them, due to her age that it was from the Alvin Flood, not Noah's Flood.  That was my Mom.


My Grandmother, Nana, Known to others Bertha Adelia Kitchel Wilson


I have recently regained Contact with one of my Mothers Great-Grand Nephews who has graciously agreed to put up with me for a while so I can send him the Physical Photos and Memorabilia I have kept.  The Connections between Jason and I are our Grandmothers.  Mine pictured above Berth A Wilson and Jason's pictured below Betty Gayle Wilson Carlton. The picture below is of my Mother and Betty Gale.  The picture is taken at the Home of Hazel Rehm in Alta Loma, Texas,  When My mother could no longer take care of the Apartments she was managing, She moved 10 miles down the road from Alvin to Sante Fe, Texas (formerly Alta Loma).  She stayed in a small house behind Hazels Home.  Hazel and Betty Gayle were Cousin.



My Mom and one of her favorite Nieces, Betty Gayle Carlton



This is the Home of Mary Kitchel, my Great Grand Mother.  The top Picture is a family gathering and the bottom picture is the restored Home, which is now a Texas Landmark.
I find it ironic for a generation that takes photos of everything, that so few people are interested in the photos that people over 100 years ago took of their lives and families. 

I was adopted at 2 years old.  I do not know anything about my birth family.  I have no family of my own. 

I loved my Parents very much but I was always closest to my mom.  She was a story teller.  I get my tendency to talk too much from her.  A gift I treasure, but those around me might question the value of that gift.  From those stories and the fact that I knew many of the people in those stories I have a very keen sense of what Alta Loma, Texas, was like.  But I am getting ahead of my self. 


I am taking a new direction with this Blog, My Parents Lives In Pictures.

Just sending a bunch of pictures really does not mean much with out knowing the Who, What, Where, Why and When of those Pictures.  So this is the narrative of the pictures that I will send to my Cousin.  This narrative spans from at least as far back as 1905 in Photos and to the 1880's in Story. 

So welcome.  Hope you enjoy the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment